I had the pleasure of giving an online lecture about childbirth in Finland. This lecture is for all the foreign families giving birth in Finland and it will help you to navigate the Finnish maternity care system.
The topic of the lecture was: Are you pregnant and delivering your baby in Finland? Are you from a country where being pregnant and delivering a baby is viewed differently? This lecture gives you an overview of what is the Finnish way of looking after your pregnancy, what are your options to deliver your baby and what are the routines during pregnancy and labor.
Pregnancy and childbirth in Finland
- This lecture gives you an overview of what is the Finnish way of following your pregnancy, what are your options to deliver your baby and what are the routines during pregnancy and labor.
- This class is short introduction to the topic and focuses on pregnancy and beginning of labor.
- Medication, interventions, special circumstances and postpartum period are not covered.
If you just found out you are pregnant in Finland you might be wondering which place to contact and where to go.
- If you are in the Finnish healthcare system (KELA), then your pregnancy is followed in the municipal neuvola system. This will give you the pregnancy check ups, ultrasound(s), family classes etc. You can find the contact information from your city´s webpage.
- If you are not in the Finnish healthcare system (KELA) then it depends on you status and how your healthcare is planned. You can always go to a private clinic, which are now quite well available.
In the lecture I talk about the standard care, which does change a bit from town to town, but there are some rules to it. Then I cover how the births are taken care of in Finland and what kind of routines there are. These can differ from what you would do in your own country and if there is something that you are not comfortable with, then you can discuss about them and make other plans.
Childbirth education in English
I am a CAPPA certified childbirth educator CCCE(CAPPA) and I offer English childbirth education classes in the capital area and via Skype, phone or any other online media for families around the world. Usually it is about 2-3h session where we cover the topic you choose or it can be combined online class and a personal session or two.
Doula service in English
I have delivered my third child in the US and got my doula training in the US, so I have a good picture of the differences of the two maternity care systems. This also helps me to open my mind about any other way to deliver a baby. With the additional help of the international conferences and classes I have taken, I can see where you are coming from and I can help you to adjust to the Finnish system while still keeping your own way to give birth.
As a doula I offer the physical, emotional and informational support as well as guide you through the Finnish maternity system. I am a certified doula CD(DONA) and with the exprience from over 50 births I can help you make your birth experience the best possible.
Please, contact me for further information email@example.com.